Thomas Asline Ward
Thomas Asline Ward served on the Cutlers' Company from 1809 - 1818 and was Master Cutler in 1816. From 1817 - 1863 he was a Town Trustee, including a period of eighteen years as Town Collector. In 1831 he stood for Parliament but although he was popular with the masses they were unable to vote under franchise limitations. He became a West Riding magistrate in 1836.
At great expense, I purchased a copy of 'Peeps into the Past: being passages from the diary of Thomas Asline Ward by A. B. Bell and R. E. Leader, published by W.C.Leng, London in 1909. As the introduction states, his diary gives a valuable insight into "how past generations thought, and dressed, and ate; what were their failings and virtues; what their mistakes and what their successes; in a word, their aims in life and how they lived." It's also a genealogical treasure trove as he was Samuel Broomhead Ward's half-brother.
Painting by Francis Chantrey http://www.the-athenaeum.org/art/detail.php?ID=181560
See also http://www.picturesheffield.com for delightful painting of T. A. Ward displaying cutlery.
Joseph Ward and his family lived in Howard St, adjoining their warehouse. Park House was a “country” villa, a few miles away, used in the summer months. Thomas Asline Ward lived there after his marriage in 1814.
T. A. Ward describes the house in 1814: Park House has three rooms on a floor, one about 4 yards square, another 4 x 3½ yards, and one being between them 5 x 6, with bow window. Three lodging rooms above of the same size, the middle one which was used as a drawing-room. The greatest trouble was the want of lodging rooms. The kitchen was rather underground, with cellar on one side and brewhouse on the other. The ci-devant greenhouse, which has a lower and upper room, might be used as a kitchen and lodging-room.
Genealogy of Thomas Asline Ward
Generation No. 1
1. THOMAS YOUNGE
Children of THOMAS YOUNGE are:
2. i. MARY YOUNGE, b. Abt. 1730; d. March 30, 1785.
ii. DR THOMAS YOUNGE.
3. iii. SARAH YOUNGE.
iv. JOHN TREVERS YOUNGE, d. 1807.
Generation No. 2
2. MARY YOUNGE was born Abt. 1730, and died March 30, 1785. She married WILLIAM ASLINE an aopthecary, son of THOMAS ASLINE and JANE ELAM. He died 1761.
Child of MARY YOUNGE and WILLIAM ASLINE is:
4. i. SARAH3 ASLINE, b. June 20, 1757; d. January 23, 1829.
3. SARAH YOUNGE. She married EDWARD SHEPHERD.
Child of SARAH YOUNGE and EDWARD SHEPHERD is:
5. i. MARY SHEPHERD.
Generation No. 3
4. SARAH ASLINE was born June 20, 17571, and died January 23, 18291. She married JOSEPH WARD July 30, 1780, son of THOMAS WARD and MARY BIRKINSHAW. He was born 1745, and died April 15, 1820 in Sheffield1.
Children of SARAH ASLINE and JOSEPH WARD are:
6. i. THOMAS ASLINE WARD, b. July 06, 1781; d. November 26, 1871.
7. ii. MARY WARD, b. November 23, 1783; d. November 23, 1858.
8. iii. SARAH WARD, b. March 04, 1786; d. October 24, 1865.
9. iv. JOHN WARD, b. January 20, 1801; d. May 23, 1868.
5. MARY SHEPHERD. She married THOMAS KINNERSLEY.
Children of MARY SHEPHERD and THOMAS KINNERSLEY are:
i. MARY KINNERSLEY.
ii. ANNE KINNERSLEY, m. ROBERT WILLIAMSON.
iii. ELIZABETH KINNERSLEY.
iv. WILLIAM SHEPHERD KINNERSLEY.
Generation No. 4
6. THOMAS ASLINE WARD was born July 06, 1781, and died November 26, 1871. He married ANN LEWIN November 17, 1814, daughter of SAMUEL LEWIN and ALICE NUNES. She was born March 24, 1785, and died December 27, 1826. They lived at Park House, Sheffield.
Children of THOMAS WARD and ANN LEWIN are:
i. EMILY WARD, b. September 12, 1815; d. November 06, 1828.
10. ii. HENRIETTA WARD, b. March 12, 1819; d. July 22, 1898.
11. iii. ASLINE WARD, b. May 06, 1821; d. April 11, 1905.
iv. CAROLINE WARD, b. May 09, 1823; d. December 06, 1839.
12. v. FREDERICK WARD, b. November 05, 1825; d. June 16, 1908, Scarborough.
7. MARY WARD was born November 23, 1783, and died November 23, 1858. She married WILLIAM WALLIS MASON July 05, 1805. He was born Abt. 1775, and died July 25, 1814.
Children of MARY WARD and WILLIAM MASON are:
i. WILLIAM WALLIS MASON.
ii. MARY MASON.
iii. SARAH MASON.
iv. HENRY WARD MASON.
v. CHARLOTTE MASON.
vi. ELIZA ANNE MASON.
8. SARAH WARD was born March 04, 1786, and died October 24, 1865. She married JOHN BROWN April 26, 1809. He was born September 08, 1783 in Lincoln, and died December 29, 1854.
Children of SARAH WARD and JOHN BROWN are:
i. JOHN HENRY BROWN, b. August 16, 1810.
ii. EDWARD BROWN.
iii. FRANCIS CHARLES BROWN.
iv. EMMA BROWN.
v. WILLIAM WARD BROWN.
vi. WALTER BROWN.
vii. HELEN BROWN.
9. JOHN WARD was born January 20, 1801, and died May 23, 1868. He married ELIZABETH SARAH BRIDDON January 11, 1826.
Children of JOHN WARD and ELIZABETH BRIDDON are:
i. ARNOLD JOHN WARD, m. THERESA PEARSON.
ii. ELLEN WARD.
iii. EDGAR WARD.
Generation No. 5
10. HENRIETTA WARD was born March 12, 1819, and died July 22, 1898. She married CHARLES HILL January 05, 1853. He died 1860.
Children of HENRIETTA WARD and CHARLES HILL are:
i. EDITH CAROLINE6 HILL, b. January 25, 1854; m. ALFRED LEACH, 1886.
ii. HENRIETTA ANNIE HILL, b. October 02, 1859; d. April 07, 1882.
11. ASLINE WARD was born May 06, 1821, and died April 11, 1905. He married ELIZABETH JANE TURNER November 11, 1852. She died 1889.
Children of ASLINE WARD and ELIZABETH TURNER are:
i. THOMAS ASLINE WARD, b. August 15, 1853; d. November 1871.
ii. FRANK TURNER WARD, d. November 1871.
iii. LEWIN BOWRING WARD.
12. FREDERICK WARD was born November 05, 1825, and died June 16, 1908 in Scarborough. He married ANNE CHARLOTTE BEAUMONT September 15, 1858. She died August 12, 1890.
Children of FREDERICK WARD and ANNE BEAUMONT are:
i. SIDNEY ASLINE WARD.
13. ii. ANNIE FREDERICA WARD.
iii. BEATRICE WARD.
iv. HENRY BEAUMONT WARD.
Generation No. 6
13. ANNIE FREDERICA WARD She married WILLIAM JAMES BEDFORD.
Children of ANNIE WARD and WILLIAM BEDFORD are:
i. REGINALD ASLINE BEDFORD.
ii. ELSIE BEDFORD.