Descendants of Duncan Macarthur
Generation No. 1
1. DUNCAN MACARTHUR He married JESSIE MCLEAN June 23, 1836 in Edinburgh, daughter of DUNCAN MCLEAN and ANN PATERSON. Jessie died 17 August, 1847 at 46 George St, Edinburgh.
Children of DUNCAN MACARTHUR and JESSIE MCLEAN are:
i. MARIANNE LOCKWOOD DYER MACARTHUR, b. May 09, 1838, Edinburgh, Scotland; d. July 25, 1924, Streatham, England.
2. ii. DOUGLAS HASTINGS MACARTHUR, b. July 25, 1839, Edinburgh; d. May 24, 1892, Feilding, NZ.
iii. ELIZABETH MACARTHUR, b. April 13, 1841, Edinburgh; d. 1898, Feilding, NZ.
3. iv. JESSIE MARIA MACARTHUR, b. October 01, 1843, Edinburgh, Scotland; d. September 14, 1918, Invercargill.
Andrew Caldwell has kindly sent me some photos, which identify (1) Marianne Macarthur, (2) another probably Marianne at a younger age, and (3) Miss Macarthur (presumably Elizabeth). From these photos, I believe photo (4) sent to me by Boni Palmer may be Jessie and Elizabeth Macarthur, taken in Feilding c.1890s.
I can't find any birth records for Jessie McLean and her sister Elizabeth in Edinburgh. There's a family suggestion they may have been born in Spain? The family of shoemakers (Duncan McLean, Elizabeth McLean, Eliza Macarthur, Duncan and Janet Macarthur, and their children Marianne, Douglas and a 7 week old infant) are at 11 George St, Edinburgh in the 1841 census.
I don't know what happened to Duncan Macarthur after his wife died in 1847.
In the 1851 census his sister, Eliza Macarthur, is in Lasswade (birthplace Kenmore, Perthshire) with her nieces Mary Ann, Elizabeth and Jessie McCarther. She died 20 Mar 1858 aged 55 in Lasswade Edinburgh, parents John Macarthur and Elizabeth McLean. Douglas is with his aunt, Elizabeth McLean, in Monks Kirby, Warwickshire.
In 1861 Mary Ann Macarthur is governess for the Marquis of Huntingdon, Jessie Macathur is a pupil at Broadwater, Worthing, Sussex, and I've been unable to locate either Elizabeth, or her aunt Elizabeth McLean. They are not in Monks Kirby.
In 1871 Marianne and Elizabeth Macarthur are in Penge, Croydon both engaged in teaching. Jessie possibly arrived in New Zealand in 1866 on the Winterthur and her sister, Elizabeth, probably in 1878 on the Waikato.
Generation No. 2
2. DOUGLAS HASTINGS MACARTHUR was born July 25, 1839 in Edinburgh, and died May 24, 1892 in Feilding, NZ. He married MARY LILIAS LOUISE HANNAY 1875, daughter of JAMES HANNAY and LOUISE MCEWEN. Mary was born Abt. 1857 in Toronto, Canada, and died 1930 in Tauranga.
Children of DOUGLAS MACARTHUR and MARY HANNAY are:
4. i. ALICE ETHEL MACARTHUR, b. 1876, Feilding, NZ; d. September 23, 1918, Feilding, NZ.
5. ii. LILY LOUISE MACARTHUR, b. 1879, Feilding, NZ; d. 1964, Tauranga.
6. iii. IDA MAUD MACARTHUR, b. 1879, Feilding, NZ; d. 1967 Somerset, England.
3. JESSIE MARIA MACARTHUR was born October 01, 1843 in Edinburgh, Scotland, and died September 14, 1918 in Invercargill. She married ROBERT HELTON JOHNSON June 11, 1874 in Blenheim. He was born Abt. 1830 in Ipswich, England, and died February 07, 1912 in Invercargill.
Children of JESSIE MACARTHUR and ROBERT JOHNSON are:
i. FRANCES CATHERINE JOHNSON, b. 1875, Blenheim, NZ; d. 1925; m. VALENTINE DOSDE PRESTON-THOMAS, April 14, 1909, St John's Church, Feilding; b. 1883, Surrey, England..
ii. KATHLEEN AMELIA JOHNSON, b. 1877, Blenheim, NZ; m. BRUCE DOUGLAS LUXMOORE, June 12, 1913, St John's Church, Feilding; b. 1876, Teddington, England; d. August 27, 1957, Kio Kio, Otorohanga..
iii. EMMA JANE JOHNSON, b. October 05, 1878, Blenheim, NZ; d. 1974; m. LINDSAY WALTER CALDWELL, September 07, 1909, St John's Church, Feilding; b. Nelson; d. August 16, 1945, Manakau.
iv. ETHEL JOHNSON, b. 1880; d. Abt. 1955, Wellington, NZ.
v. ROBERT MACLEAN JOHNSON, b. 1882, Dunedin; d. November 30, 1962, Invercargill; m. ISABEL JESSIE TAYLOR, Abt. 1914, Invercargill , b. 1882.
Generation No. 3
4. ALICE ETHEL MACARTHUR was born 1876 in Feilding, NZ, and died September 23, 1918 in Feilding, NZ. She married FREDERICK PICKERING MYERS November 19, 1902 in St John's Church, Feilding, son of ARTHUR MYERS and EDITH PICKERING. He was born September 03, 1874 in Ruskington, Lincs, and died May 11, 1955 in Feilding, NZ.
Children of ALICE MACARTHUR and FREDERICK MYERS are:
i. NORMAN MACARTHUR MYERS, b. January 20, 1904, Feilding, NZ; d. September 17, 1904, Feilding, NZ.
ii. ALICE AUDREY MYERS, b. July 12, 1905, Feilding, NZ; d. December 07, 1994, Auckland.
iii. ARTHUR (CHAPPIE) MYERS, b. May 17, 1907, Feilding, NZ; d. November 28, 1961, Palmerston North; m. MOIRA GUTHRIE, October 07, 1931; d. September 12, 1969.
iv. MARGARET CECIL MYERS, b. July 27, 1913, Feilding, NZ; d. December 09, 1997, Feilding, NZ; m. ARTHUR HAROLD MONTAGU MAURICE, September 13, 1932, St John's Church, Feilding; b. July 05, 1909, Wales; d. 1996, Feilding, NZ.
5. LILY LOUISE MACARTHUR was born 1879 in Feilding, NZ, and died 1964 in Tauranga. She married JOHN CUTHBERT HALCOMBE August 01, 1900 in Urenui, Taranaki, NZ, son of CHRISTOPHER HALCOMBE and MARY BAMFIELD. He was born
November 24, 1865 in Aorere, Collingwood, Nelson, and died April 03, 1922 in Tauranga.
Children of LILY MACARTHUR and JOHN HALCOMBE are:
i. DOUGLAS FOLLETT HALCOMBE, b. 1901.
ii. JOHN BAMFIELD HALCOMBE, b. 1902.
iii. MARGARET CARNE HALCOMBE, b. 1903.
iv. WINIFRED ITHYLL HALCOMBE, b. 1905.
v. MARY MONTGOMERY HALCOMBE, b. 1910.
vi. NANCY SEYMOUR HALCOMBE, b. 1912.
6. IDA MAUD MACARTHUR (right) was born in 1879 and died in 1967 in Somerset, England.
She married HERBERT E DILLON MORSHEAD 1901. He died May 09, 1915 at Gallipoli.
Children of IDA MACARTHUR and HERBERT MORSHEAD are:
i. BEATRICE WARWICK MORSHEAD m. RICHARD LESLIE EMERSON 1935. She died 1938.
ii. EDWARD DILLON VERNON MORSHEAD.
iii. GODFREY ORLEY MORSHEAD.