Rimingtons of Broomhead Hall
Broomhead Hall (demolished in 1980)
My thanks to Jonathon Rimington for providing this photo.
These photos are from the album of Fanny Myers Lumsden and were taken at Broomhead Hall in 1856.
Standing at back; Maria Rimington (married E. Bowlby) Left: Lucy Anne Rimington (married Edward Hodge)
Right: Harriet Rimington Knox (Lady Northland and
later Countess of Ranfurly).
Descendants of James Rimington
Generation No. 1
1. JAMES RIMINGTON was born December 09, 1786, and died September 30, 1839. He married SARAH WARD September 01, 1817 in Sheffield, daughter of SAMUEL WARD and HANNAH WATKINSON. She was born 1800, and died February 05, 1875 in Bradfield, Yorkshire.
Notes for JAMES RIMINGTON: BA 1808 MA 1811, Admitted at the Middle Temple 1807
Children of JAMES RIMINGTON and SARAH WARD are:
i. HENRY RIMINGTON, b. 1820; d. 1849.
2. ii. JAMES RIMINGTON-WILSON, b. July 1822, Sheffield; d. November 27, 1877.
3. iii. HARRIET RIMINGTON, d. March 16, 1892.
4. iv. JOHN RIMINGTON, b. May 18, 1832; d. July 04, 1909.
5. v. LUCY ANNE RIMINGTON, d. May 02, 1885.
6. vi. WILLIAM RIMINGTON, b. August 16, 1834, Bradfield, Yorkshire; d. February 11, 1885.
7. vii. MARIA RIMINGTON, d. January 06, 1879.
viii. MARY RIMINGTON, d. 1831.
ix. SARAH CAROLINE RIMINGTON, d. 1821.
x. ELLEN RIMINGTON, d. 1845.
Generation No. 2
2. JAMES RIMINGTON-WILSON was born July 1822 in Sheffield, and died November 27, 1877. He married JANE WALLAS 1849.
Children of JAMES WILSON and JANE WALLAS are:
i. REGINALD HENRY RIMINGTON-WILSON, b. November 03, 1852, Madeira; d. March 31, 1927, Broomhead Hall. Lieut Inniskilling Dragoons
JP for the West Riding of Yorkshire
8. ii. HARRIET MARY RIMINGTON WILSON, d. 1907.
9. iii. HARRY RIMINGTON WILSON, b. January 11, 1854, Madeira; d. 1915.
3. HARRIET RIMINGTON died March 16, 1892. She married THOMAS KNOX (3RD EARL OF RANFURLY) October 10, 1848. He was born November 18, 1816, and died May 20, 1858.
Children of HARRIET RIMINGTON and THOMAS KNOX) are:
i. THOMAS GRANVILLE HENRY STUART KNOX (4TH EARL), b. July 26, 1849, Madeira; d. May 10, 1875, Abysinnia.
Succeeded to his father's honours when only 9 years old. Educated at Eton.
Entered the Grenadier Guards in 1868, became Lt and Capt in 1871. Died on a shooting expedition in Abyssinia.
ii. AGNES KNOX, b. 1851; m. NUGENT M DANIEL, 1870.
10. iii. UCHTER JOHN MARK KNOX (5TH EARL), b. August 14, 1856; d. October 01, 1933.
4. JOHN RIMINGTON was born May 18, 1832, and died July 04, 1909. He married SOPHIA ABERCROMBY.
Children of JOHN RIMINGTON and SOPHIA ABERCROMBY are:
i. ERNEST RIMINGTON.
ii. ETHEL RIMINGTON, m. KENNETH LODGE.
5. LUCY ANNE RIMINGTON died May 02, 1885. She married EDWARD COOPER HODGE 1860. He was born 1810, and died December 10, 1894.
Notes for EDWARD COOPER HODGE:
Only son of Major Edward Hodge, of the 7th Hussars, who was killed at the battle of Waterloo.
Joined the 4th Draggon Guards in 1826, Lt Col in 1848
Commanded the 4th Dragoons in Crimea, retired 1859
Commanded the Cavalry Brigade at Aldershot 1862-1867
CB 1854, KCB 1873, GCB 1894. Left £99,471 in his will in trust for his two sons
Children of LUCY RIMINGTON and EDWARD HODGE are:
i. EDWARD FRANCIS HODGE, b. 1862; d. 1889, Burma.
ii. FREDERICK ARTHUR HODGE.
iii. ETHEL MARIA HODGE, b. 1872; d. 1878.
iv. FERDINAND HARPER HODGE, m. VIOLET FENTON, November 07, 1893.
6. WILLIAM RIMINGTON was born August 16, 1834 in Bradfield, Yorkshire, and died February 11, 1885. He married MARY BLANCHE NICHOLLS 1861 in Starcross Devon. She died March 01, 1889.
Notes for WILLIAM RIMINGTON:
BA 1859 Cambridge.
Ordained deacon 1860 Priest 1861
Curate of Whitelackington Somerset 1860-2
P.C of Bolsterstone 1862-7
Vicar of Norton Subcorse, Norfolk 1867-85
Well known as an archer champion 1868, 1869 & 1877
Children of WILLIAM RIMINGTON and MARY NICHOLLS are:
i. HUGH RIMINGTON, b. 1863; d. 1920.
ii. LUCY ELLEN RIMINGTON, d. 1928, Worthing; m. (1) JOHN LEDGARD; m. (2) ALFRED GILBERT; b. 1862; d. 1890; m. (3) ABERNETHY, 1895, Jersey.
11. iii. FREDERICK WILSON RIMINGTON, b. 1865.
12. iv. MAY BLANCHE RIMINGTON, d. April 05, 1942.
v. PERCY RIMINGTON, b. 1867; d. 1919.
13. vi. EDITH MARY RIMINGTON, d. 1953.
14. vii. HILDA MARGUERITE RIMINGTON, b. October 28, 1871; d. July 05, 1938, Worthing.
viii. VIOLET SARAH RIMINGTON, d. 1940; m. PATRICK ECHLIN SMITH.
7. MARIA RIMINGTON died January 06, 1879. She married EDWARD SALVIN BOWLBY August 01, 1861.
Children of MARIA RIMINGTON and EDWARD BOWLBY are:
i. HARRY SALVIN BOWLBY, b. June 11, 1862; d. December 12, 1873, Twyford.
ii. FRANK RIMINGTON BOWLBY, b. August 17, 1863; d. January 20, 1888.
iii. EDWARD RUSSELL BOWLBY, b. March 15, 1865; d. March 18, 1865.
iv. MARIAN EMILY BOWLBY, b. April 17, 1868; d. April 19, 1868.
v. CHARLES RUSSELL BOWLBY, b. December 15, 1869; d. December 21, 1869.
vi. ARTHUR SALVIN BOWLBY, b. March 14, 1872; d. August 12, 1932.
vii. ADA MAUD BOWLBY, b. September 25, 1876; d. May 24, 1889.
Generation No. 3
8. HARRIET MARY RIMINGTON-WILSON died 1907. She married ALEX MONCRIEFF April 20, 1875 who invented the artillery gun carriage and received £15,000 from the war office.. He died 1906.
Children of HARRIET WILSON and ALEX MONCRIEFF are:
i. ? MONCRIEFF, b. June 08, 1876.
ii. ? MONCRIEFF, b. May 1889.
9. HARRY RIMINGTON-WILSON was born January 11, 1854 in Madeira, and died 1915. He married ETHEL BUTLER 1897. She was born 1871, and died 1926.
Notes for HARRY RIMINGTON-WILSON:
Eton School, BA 1877, Called to the Bar, Middle Temple 1879, On the North Eastern Circuit
Children of HARRY WILSON and ETHEL BUTLER are:
i. HENRY WILSON.
ii. PAMELA WILSON.
iii. LETTICE WILSON.
10. UCHTER JOHN MARK KNOX (5TH EARL) was born August 14, 1856, and died October 01, 1933. He married CONSTANCE ELIZABETH CAULFIELD February 10, 1880. She died July 25, 1932.
Notes for UCHTER JOHN MARK KNOX (5TH EARL):
Educated at Harrow and Trinity College, Cambridge
Spent some years in Australia, fruit growing in Mildura, he installed an irrigation plant
Governer of New Zealand 1897-1904. Term in office included the Boer War.
He took a keen interest not only in the raising and despatch of contingents to the war ,
but in the reception of the men on their return and their subsequent welfare.
Children of UCHTER KNOX and CONSTANCE CAULFIELD are:
i. ANNETTE KNOX, b. November 21, 1880; d. 1886.
ii. THOMAS KNOX, b. June 13, 1882; d. 1915.
iii. CONSTANCE HARRIET STUART KNOX, b. April 21, 1885.
11. FREDERICK WILSON RIMINGTON was born 1865. He married EVA MARY GILBERT 1891, daughter of JOHN DENNY GILBERT. She died 1903.
Children of FREDERICK RIMINGTON and EVA GILBERT are:
i. BRIAN NIGEL WILSON RIMINGTON.
ii. FLORENCE ETHEL RIMINGTON.
12. MAY BLANCHE RIMINGTON died April 05, 1942. She married REGINALD BACON July 16, 1890. Rector of Gilston Essex. He was born 1861, and died March 27, 1927.
Child of MAY RIMINGTON and REGINALD BACON is:
i. FRANCIS BACON.
13. EDITH MARY RIMINGTON died 1953. She married HUMPHREY GILBERT 1890, son of JOHN DENNY GILBERT. He was born 1862, and died 1936.
Child of EDITH RIMINGTON and HUMPHREY GILBERT is:
i. HARRY RIMINGTON GILBERT.
14. HILDA MARGUERITE RIMINGTON was born October 28, 1871, and died July 05, 1938 in Worthing. She married EDWARD MAPLETON SHEPHERD January 08, 1896, son of JOHN MAYNE DRAKE SHEPHERD. He died November 28, 1934.
Child of HILDA RIMINGTON and EDWARD SHEPHERD is:
i. DEREK SHEPHERD.