The Myers Family History
Hargreaves of Accrington
Descendants of Thomas Hargreaves
Generation No. 1
1. THOMAS HARGREAVES was born December 12, 1771. He married (1) MARGARET WILSON 1793. She was born Abt. 1772, and died 1800. He married (2) NANCY HOYLE 1803.
Children of THOMAS HARGREAVES and MARGARET WILSON are:
i. ALICE HARGREAVES, b. November 01, 1794; m. ? KAY.
ii. ELLEN HARGREAVES, b. March 22, 1796.
2. iii. JOHN HARGREAVES, b. July 01, 1797; d. February 15, 1873.
iv. BENJAMIN WILSON HARGREAVES, b. May 24, 1799; d. 1800, Accrington.
Children of THOMAS HARGREAVES and NANCY HOYLE are:
3. v. ROBERT HARGREAVES, b. Abt. 1808; d. 1854.
vi. WILLIAM HARGREAVES.
4. vii. JONATHON HARGREAVES, b. Abt. 1813; d. 1863.
Generation No. 2
2. JOHN HARGREAVES was born July 01, 1797, and died February 15, 1873. He married GRACE BROWN February 15, 1831. She was born Abt. 1813, and died January 05, 1849.
Notes for JOHN HARGREAVES:
1851 census; calico printer and merchant employing 716 men, 343 women, 306 boys, 285 girls
369 acres at Broad Oak employing 13 men and 8 servants
1861 census; cotton spinner and manufacturer employing 653 persons, 26 boys & girls
Children of JOHN HARGREAVES and GRACE BROWN are:
5. i. THOMAS HARGREAVES, b. 1832; d. September 28, 1891.
ii. SARAH HARGREAVES, b. 1834; d. 1857.
iii. WILLIAM HARGREAVES, b. 1837.
6. iv. JOHN HARGREAVES, b. 1839; d. October 03, 1895.
v. ARTHUR HARGREAVES, b. 1849; d. 1856, Accrington.
3. ROBERT HARGREAVES was born Abt. 1808, and died 1854. He married LOUISA WARD June 13, 1839 in Sheffield, daughter of SAMUEL WARD and GRACE MARTINDALE. She was born June 24, 1816 in Sheffield, and died January 10, 1894 in 53 Porchester Tce, Hyde Park, London.
Notes for ROBERT HARGREAVES:
1851 census; Justice of the Peace, calico printer (merchant)
employing 716 men, 343 women, 306 boys, 285 girls
Bank House 203 acres and 7 servants
Children of ROBERT HARGREAVES and LOUISA WARD are:
i. LOUISA GRACE HARGREAVES, b. April 27, 1840; m. FRED ROBERTSON-AIKMAN; d. October 05, 1888.
Notes for FRED ROBERTSON-AIKMAN: Served 18 years in the Indian Army and received the Victoria Cross for distinguished service in the Mutiny at the capture of Delhi he received a severe sabre wound in the face the effects of which forced him to retire on half-pay. He was a member of Her Majesty's Honourable Corps of Gentleman-at-Arms (the Royal Body Guard).He dropped dead at the county ball, Hamilton, Lanarkshire.
Photo by The London Stereoscopic & Photographic Company of Regent Street - http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=pv&GRid=7710943&PIpi=32091902, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=37885559
ii. MARY HARGREAVES, b. January 27, 1841; d. January 28, 1841, Accrington.
7. iii. LUCY ANNE HARGREAVES, b. December 02, 1841; d. 1882, Algiers.
iv. ROBERT HARGREAVES, b. September 25, 1842; d. September 25, 1842, Accrington.
v. ROBERT HARGREAVES, b. February 08, 1846; d. February 08, 1846, Accrington.
vi. EMMA HARGREAVES, b. April 13, 1847; d. April 14, 1847.
4. JONATHON HARGREAVES was born Abt. 1813, and died 1863. He married ANNA MARIA HARLAND 1846.
She was born Abt. 1819 in Ashbourne, Derbyshire.
Notes for JONATHON HARGREAVES:
1851 census; magistrate and merchant in a firm of three employers
employing 506 men, 21 women, 247 boys, 102 girls
Oak Hill 202 acres and 7 servants
Children of JONATHON HARGREAVES and ANNA HARLAND are:
i. REGINALD HARGREAVES, b. 1849; d. March 07, 1849.
ii. FANNY HELENA HARGREAVES, b. October 20, 1847.
iii. EMMA CAROLINE HARGREAVES, b. 1850.
iv. REGINALD GERVIS HARGREAVES, b. October 13, 1852; m. ALICE LIDDELL. Lewis Carroll wrote "Alice in Wonderland" for Alice Liddell.
Photo by Lewis Carroll - The Life and Letters of Lewis Carroll, p. 80, Public Domain https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=275465
Generation No. 3
5. THOMAS HARGREAVES was born 1832, and died September 28, 1891. He married SARAH WASHINGTON JACKSON 1855. She was born Abt. 1833 in Philadelphia, USA, and died 1918.
Children of THOMAS HARGREAVES and SARAH JACKSON are:
8. i. GRACE HARGREAVES, b. 1857.
ii. ANNIE HARGREAVES, b. 1858; m. FRED EUSTACE ARBUTHNOTT WOLLASTON, 1877.
iii. ARTHUR HARGREAVES, b. 1859; d. October 25, 1878.
9. iv. EDITH HARGREAVES, b. 1861; d. 1914.
v. FLORENCE HARGREAVES, d. May 27, 1939; m. WILLIAM HIPPESLEY, September 16, 1886; d. 1908.
10. vi. JOHN REGINALD HARGREAVES, b. 1864.
vii. LILIAN HARGREAVES.
viii. ELLA HARGREAVES.
6. JOHN HARGREAVES was born 1839, and died October 03, 1895. He married MARY JANE COBHAM. She died 1899.
Children of JOHN HARGREAVES and MARY COBHAM are:
i. AMY JANE HARGREAVES, b. March 28, 1863; m. HARRY EVELYN POCKLINGTON, 1886.
11. ii. JOHN HARGREAVES, b. 1864.
12. iii. MARY HARGREAVES, b. July 28, 1867; d. 1904.
iv. ROBERT HARGREAVES.
v. ? HARGREAVES, b. 1871; d. 1885.
vi. GUY HARGREAVES, b. 1881.
vii. LAURA HARGREAVES, m. FERRAR.
viii. VIOLET HARGREAVES.
ix. FRANK HARGREAVES.
7. LUCY ANNE HARGREAVES was born December 02, 1841, and died 1882 in Algiers. She married HUMPHRY SANDWITH. He was born 1823, and died May 16, 1881 in Paris.
HUMPHRY SANDWITH was the eldest son of a Yorkshire physician
Went to Constantinople in 1849 to practise medicine
Attached to Layard's expedition to Nineveh
Medical officer in the Crimean War
Chief of Medical Staff during the defence of the fortress at Kars
The Russian General Mouravieff was so much impressed his treatment of the Russian wounded after the battle thet he gave him his liberty. Sandwith published his diary under the title "The Siege of Kars"
Colonial Secretary in Mauritius 1857-1860
Humphry Sandwith by Camille Silvy albumen print, 24 January 1862
NPG Ax56768 © National Portrait Gallery, London
Children of LUCY HARGREAVES and HUMPHRY SANDWITH are:
i. LINCOLN SANDWITH, m. MABEL POLLOCK, April 14, 1894.
ii. ? SANDWITH.
iii. ? SANDWITH.
iv. HELEN SANDWITH, b. 1865; d. 1882, Algiers.
Generation No. 4
8. GRACE HARGREAVES was born 1857. She married FFOLLIOTT WILLIAMS ERSKINE 1879. He was born 1850, and died 1912.
Children of GRACE HARGREAVES and FFOLLIOTT ERSKINE are:
i. THOMAS ERSKINE.
ii. ZAIDA ERSKINE.
9. EDITH HARGREAVES was born 1861, and died 1914. She married the 4TH VISCOUNT EXMOUTH .
Children of EDITH HARGREAVES and Viscount EXMOUTH are:
i. EDWARD PELLEW, b. 1890.
ii. GEORGINA PELLEW, b. 1885.
10. JOHN REGINALD HARGREAVES was born 1864. He married BERTHA GAMAGE DE LACY NICHOLL-CARNE.
Children of JOHN HARGREAVES and BERTHA NICHOLL-CARNE are:
i. JOHN HARGREAVES.
ii. MABEL HARGREAVES.
iii. SYBIL HARGREAVES.
11. JOHN HARGREAVES was born 1864. He married EVELYN KENNARD GREENFIELD 1889.
Children of JOHN HARGREAVES and EVELYN GREENFIELD are:
i. EVELYN HARGREAVES.
ii. ? HARGREAVES.
iii. ? HARGREAVES.
12. MARY HARGREAVES was born July 28, 1867, and died 1904. She married GEORGE SCLATER BOOTH 1889 and became Lady Basing. He was born 1860, and died 1919.
Children of MARY HARGREAVES and GEORGE BOOTH are:
i. JOHN BOOTH.
ii. JOAN BOOTH.
iii. LYDIA BOOTH.